5 Reasons Your Website Needs a Blog
For the past number of years businesses have been told from all angles (by PR, Marketing, SEO and Digital Media consultants to name but a few) that they should set up a blog on their website. Oftentimes, those who have followed the trend have only done so because ‘everyone else seems to be doing it’, and as a result usually let their blog updates lag until finally their blog becomes neglected. However, if businesses really understood the value of a blog it would help them to keep the momentum going, and even help them to decide what it is they should be blogging about. So below are the top five reasons you need to set up a blog for your business (or start blogging again if you’ve been neglecting your blog).
1. Blogging will improve your search engine rankings
One of the core benefits of adding a blog to your website is to improve your search engine rankings. A blog gives you a location on your website where you can regularly post relevant and up-to-date content that internally links to your key landing pages.
This will benefit rankings in a number of ways:
- Search engines like when you keep your website regularly updated with new and informative content, as they like to provide the most up-to-date and useful content to users
- The more pages of relevant and informative that includes you major keywords you have indexed by search engines, the greater chance you will be included in the search engine results pages (SERPs) for those keywords
- Including links within your blog articles to your key landing pages, using relevant anchor text, will boost the authority of these key pages.
2. Regular blog posts will help boost your website traffic
If you’re struggling to come up with new blog post topics, the best way to begin the brainstorming process is by simply asking ‘what kind of information do my customers and potential customers want to read about?’. By including content that addresses the major questions your customers want answered, they will be more likely to
- find you when searching for those answers online,
- come back to your site to find further information, and
- share the information they find with their friends and colleagues via email or on social media sites, thus boosting your traffic.
For an advanced look at how to https://moz.com/blog/using-google-analytics-to-power-an-effective-qa-strategy, take a look at this article on the SEOmoz blog about how to access this information via your Google Analytics account.
3. Informative blog posts build trust and credibility with customers
Blog posts are a great way to demonstrate your business’ expert knowledge in your niche or sector. Potential customers who come across your website via your blog will be able to see that you know your stuff and make an effort to keep up to date with the latest news and trends in your industry.
4. Informative blog posts build trust and credibility with search engines
Keeping your blog updated with interesting and helpful articles will not only boost your reputation with customers, but with search engines too. By keeping your website constantly updated with shareable content will mean more links pointing to your site and more relevant content for search engines to crawl, which will boost your website’s authority, and thus your rankings and your traffic.
5. Blog posts can generate sales leads
On this point it’s important to note that blog posts should not be used as a sales pitch opprtunity. However, if you are blogging about a particular issue that your customers may come across, as well as providing some helpful tips that could help them resolve the issue, you could also link to another page of your website that details the product or service you offer that would help to combat the issue. This page should have a good call to action and a simple ‘one click’ step to your ‘enquiries’ page so that you can easily convert a potential customer’s interest into a sales lead.
Share this Article
White Chalk Road are a specialist Search Marketing Agency based in Perth, with over 20 years’ experience in the industry. As a Google Premier Partner, WCR specialise in SEO, Search Marketing, Advertising & Marketing Automation. WCR help Perth businesses, across both B2B and B2C markets, who need help being found online by their customers.
Continue reading with these related posts: