Quickly Discover & Prioritise Internal Linking Opportunities
Sometimes we can get carried away with trying to build external links to our websites but neglect one of the most powerful onsite SEO tactics – internal linking. I’ve certainly been guilty of having an almost tunnel vision obsession with offsite optimisation in the past.
Here is a quick fire way of prioritising your internal linking opportunities to get the best bang for your buck when trying to move the needle in your SEO efforts.
Tools you will need
- Screaming Frog SEO Spider Tool (free trial will work fine although you’ll be limited to crawling 500 URLs but the paid version is AWESOME!)
- Netpeak Checker (free software)
- Microsoft Excel (or another spreadsheet program that allows filtering)
How do we do it?
The process is very straightforward:
- Use Screaming Frog to crawl your website’s pages
- Copy URLs to Excel for a quick clean-up to filter out URLs we don’t need
- Run pages through Netpeak Checker to get each page’s Moz Page Authority (PA)
- Export these URLs into a new spreadsheet tab, sort by highest PA and get to work!
Use Screaming Frog to crawl your website’s pages
Advanced SEOs will find this a walk in the park, however, if you’ve never used the software before, let’s see how we go about crawling your website:
1. Assuming you’ve got Screaming Frog installed, fire it up.
2. Plug in your website’s main URL and click Start.
Note: if you don’t see the URL address bar in Screaming Frog, the tool may be set to ‘List’ Mode. You can change this easily by selecting ‘Mode’ from the menu and selecting ‘Spider’.
3. Once the crawl completes, select all URLs and copy to the clipboard.
Copy URLs to Excel for a quick clean-up
1. Once you’ve pasted everything to Excel, turn on the ‘Filter’ from the ‘Data’ menu.
2. Deselect all but the ‘text/html’ options (keep the ‘text/html; charset=utf-8’ URLs as well).
3.Next, we only want to keep the healthy, ‘Status 200’ URLs.
4. Now, simply copy everything in Column A to the clipboard.
Run pages through Netpeak Checker to get each page’s Moz Page Authority (PA)
This free utility not only works fast, but it can provide you with all sorts of metrics and the best part, you don’t even have to have a subscription to Moz, Ahrefs, Majestic SEO or SEMrush!
1. Once you fire up Netpeak Checker, select ‘Load’ from the top menu.
2. Load your URLs into the ‘Editor’ box and click ‘Save’.
3. Now, before we get too excited about clicking the ‘Start check’ button and going to get all those delicious metrics, doing so will take far too long and it’s a waste of resources.
For the purpose of our exercise, we want to deselect all but the Moz Page Authority parameter from the left hand menu.
4. Now, we can press ‘Start check’. For ~500 pages, the tool should only take a couple of minutes.
5. Once Netpeak has worked its magic, simply copy everything to the clipboard.
Export these URLs into a new spreadsheet tab, sort by highest PA and get to work!
1. The next steps are very easy, just paste the URLs into a new tab on your Excel document and sort by highest PA.
2. Now we have a list of the juiciest URLs to begin your internal linking strategy.
Pretty easy, huh?! Hopefully this will save you some time when trying to work out which internal pages have the highest SEO value (from Moz’s perspective).
There is scope to further enhance the Netpeak Checker analysis by including more metrics such as Majestic SEO’s Trust Flow for example, but I just wanted to keep things simple to help explain the process for prioritising internal linking opportunities.
Share this Article
White Chalk Road are a specialist Search Marketing Agency based in Perth, with over 20 years’ experience in the industry. As a Google Premier Partner, WCR specialise in SEO, Search Marketing, Advertising & Marketing Automation. WCR help Perth businesses, across both B2B and B2C markets, who need help being found online by their customers.
Continue reading with these related posts: